Abstract
ADIGRAT UNIVERSITY COLLAGE OF MEDICINE AND HEALTH SCIENCES DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH PREVALENCE AND ASSOCIATED FACTORS OF HOME DELIVERY IN THE RURAL KEBELES OF BIZET CATCHMET, EASTERN TIGRAY, NORTHERN ETHIOPIA

Mr. Kahsay Amare* and G/hiwot G/Mariam

ABSTRACT

Introduction: Maternal mortality is a global health concern. Every year, an estimated 287000 women die worldwide from pregnancy related causes. Nearly 3.4 million of the 8 million infant deaths each year occur within the first week of life and are often due to a lack of or inappropriate care during pregnancy, delivery and the post-partum period. Every year, 40 million women give birth at home without the help of a skilled birth attendant. In 2011, 287,000 women died during pregnancy or childbirth, and 6.9 million children died before reaching their fifth birthday. Almost all these deaths occur in developing countries where mothers and children lack access to basic health care. Annually worldwide 536,000 maternal deaths occur and of which Africa contribute the highest; specifically 95% burden occurs in sub-Saharan Africa and Asia..Therefore the aim of this study was to assess prevalence and associated factors of home delivery at Bizet catchment area. Method: A community based descriptive cross sectional study design was used to assess prevalence and factors associated home based delivery among mothers who delivered in the last five year in rural kebeles of Bizet catchment. The study was conducted from March 1 to June 3, 2017.Two stage sampling technique was used; using lottery method two kebeles were selected. The total sample size allocated proportionally for the two study kebeles. Then using simple random sampling technique the data was collected from 251 mothers and the collected data was cleaned and Coded and entered to SPSS 16.0.The analysis was made with descriptive and binary logistic regression to see the significant relation of selected independent variables with dependent variable. Result: Majority of the respondents were age between 31-49, married, farmers and illiterate which is 163(63.3%), 205(81.7%), 153(61%) and 112(44.6%) respectively and all of them are Tigri in ethnicity and orthodox religion. The total prevalence of home delivery in the rural kebeles of Bizet is 21(8.4%). From those mother deliver at home 14(66.7%) are delivered their child at home 4-5 years back, while the other 7(33.3%) of them delivered at home within 3 years. According to the study, distance of the house from the health institution (p<0.05), absence of road for ambulance service (p<0.05), age of the mother (p<0.05), multiparty (p<0.05) and ANC follow up(p<0.05) were Significantly associated with home delivery at p value of < 0.05. Conclusion: As the study revealed that home delivery is very low. But still there are factors that affect home delivery. Travel time to health institution, age of the mother, history of ANC follow up, parity of the mother absence of road for ambulance predictors of home delivery. Recommendation: Even though home delivery is low in the current study in order to make the prevalence zero the government should make a road in the rural kebeles for the ambulance to enter, preparing waiting rooms for those mothers who are far from the health center, and health extension workers should increase their effort in initiating those mother who has no ANC follow up to start follow up.

Keywords: Maternal mortality is a global health concern.


[Full Text Article]   [Download Certificate]

Login





Forgot Password  |  Register

Indexing

Best Paper Awards

European Journal of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences (EJBPS) will give best paper award in every issue in the form of money along with certificate to promote research activity of scholar.

Best Article of current issue :

Dr. Dhrubo Jyoti Sen

Download Article : Click here

News & Updation

  • EJBPS: MAY ISSUE PUBLISHED

    MAY 2024 Issue has been successfully launched on 1 MAY 2024.

  • EJBPS New Impact Factor

    EJBPS Impact Factor has been Increased to 7.482 for Year 2024.

  • Index Copernicus Value

    EJBPS Received Index Copernicus Value 77.3, due to High Quality Publication in EJBPS at International Level

  • Journal web site support Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Saffari for easy download of article without any trouble.

    .

  • Article Invited for Publication

    Dear Researcher, Article Invited for Publication  in EJBPS coming Issue.

     

UG/PG/Ph.D Research Publication

Research Scholar of UG/PG/Ph.D can Submit their Research Article/Review Article/Case Study/Short Communication for Publication in EJBPS

Downloads

Copyright From

Covering Letter

                        Author Instruction 
 

PLAGERLUM REPORT