Abstract
THE INCIDENCE OF THE ABSENCE OF PALMARIS LONGUS MUSCLE AMONG THE IJAWS OF BAYELSA EXTRACTION

Francis DAU*, Tabowei Luther and Atoni AD

ABSTRACT

Aim: This study aims to determine the prevalence of the absence of the Palmaris longus muscle and its association with gender among the Ijaws of Bayelsa State. Subjects and Methods: In the study, 300 subjects from Bayelsa state (162 females and 138 males) were randomly selected for physical examination of the Palmaris longus muscle. The anterior surface of the wrist was observed for the presence or absence of the Palmaris longus tendon following modified Schaeffer’s test. Result: Only in 2 (0.7%) of the subjects, absence of the Palmaris longus tendon was observed (1 unilateral – right forearm and 1 bilateral). All the remaining 298 (99.3%) subjects demonstrated the presence of the Palmaris longus tendon. Conclusion: Despite the frequent report of the high prevalence of the absence of the Palmaris longus muscle, Black African populations appear to have lower rates of the absence of the muscle. This was also shown by the current study which demonstrated a near absence of the agenesis of the muscle among the studied black population. Hence, the study concluded that the prevalence of the absence of the Palmaris longus muscle differs among the various countries.

Keywords: Palmaris longus, Absence, Prevalence, Bayelsa State.


[Full Text Article]

Login





Forgot Password  |  Register

Indexing

Best Paper Awards

European Journal of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences (EJBPS) will give best paper award in every issue in the form of money along with certificate to promote research activity of scholar.

Best Article of current issue :

Tangudu Nagabhusana Rao

Download Article : Click here

News & Updation

  • EJBPS: APRIL ISSUE PUBLISHED

    APRIL 2021 Issue has been successfully launched on 1 April 2021.

  • EJBPS New Impact Factor

    Its our Pleasure to Inform you that EJBPS Impact Factor has been increased from 5.467 to 6.044, due to high quality Publication at International Level.

  • Index Copernicus Value

    EJBPS Received Index Copernicus Value 77.3, due to High Quality Publication in EJBPS at International Level

  • Journal web site support Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Saffari for easy download of article without any trouble.

    .

  • Article Invited for Publication

    Dear Researcher, Article Invited for Publication  in EJBPS coming Issue.

     

UG/PG/Ph.D Research Publication

Research Scholar of UG/PG/Ph.D can Submit their Research Article/Review Article/Case Study/Short Communication for Publication in EJBPS

Downloads

Copyright From

Covering Letter

                        Author Instruction 
 

PLAGERLUM REPORT